The last four years, the last four months, the last four weeks, the last four days have been exhausting. We look for ways to rise above the toxicity to focus on the good—and there is a lot of good. Regardless of what you fear and how you feel about our future, there is nothing more powerful than simply answering two simple questions “What do I believe?” and “What do I really want?” As a country, this is our moment to look inward, take inventory, and then look to the future with joy.
Every decision is a choice between fear and love. Here at Res Ipsa we are committed to choosing love over fear. We are also guided by a set of ten core beliefs. These are guiding principles that best explain why we do what we do. For example, the first core belief explains why we left the law for retail, and the last one explains why we were not crazy to do so.
- We believe that you should do something with joy, or not at all.
- We believe that beauty is not trivial.
- We believe that every product should have a story.
- We believe humans are hard-wired for narrative.
- We believe that every person should travel as far as they can as often as they can.
- We believe that travel is important because it opens minds and hearts.
- We believe that you get back what you put out.
- We believe makers of well-made products deserve to make a fair profit & living wage.
- We believe that small businesses are the bedrock of a strong economy.
- We believe retail is not dead.
The year 2020 has been a global challenge. But we are equal to the challenge and genuinely excited about our future. Some of our core beliefs feel especially relevant: Do it with joy or don’t do it at all! You get back what you put out! We are excited about what the future holds. In fact, we have a big announcement coming in the next few weeks! We continue to lean in to the things that give us joy: creating beauty, well-made products that have a story, and experiential retail.
For the remainder of 2020, we are committed to using our platform to extend opportunities to marginalized people, embracing diversity, supporting social justice and mercy, and having fun. Don’t forget the fun. Thank you!
Josh & Odini